Research Tech Lab – Session 2: „Principles of ethnography and how to conduct it“
Research Tech lab SoSe 2019The Research Tech Lab, coordinated by sub-projects INF and A05, is an open forum for exchange for all members of the SFB 1187. In the Research Tech Lab, we explore and discuss, and design digital research approaches, tools, and instruments. The basic assumption of the Research Tech Lab is that IT design takes place in everyday use and involves the continuous appropriation of (digital) methods, tools, instruments, and infrastructures. In the Summer Semester 2019, the Research Tech Lab will continue to work in close connection with Locating Media graduate school. We will present the tools and methods catalog that built in the social platform “Research Hub” and based on the input provided in the Techlab Winter Semester 2018/19. We will continue to expand the catalog with the participants’ contributions during the SoSe 2019. The catalog is intended as an “active inventory”, a place in which issues with tools and methods can be collected and discussed, an organizational memory fruitful for future students and academics.
Session 2 - “Principles of ethnography and how to conduct it”
- Helena Karasti will be our invited speaker.
- The session will provide two main input:
- What are the principles of ethnographic research? (15 min)
- Natural settings, holism, descriptive, member’s point of view
- What are the main methods and techniques of ethnography? (15)
- Constructing the field, participatory observation, interviews...
- After each input, we will have a 30 min of plenary discussion.
- We invite all of you who are working with ethnographic methods to join, share and learn together!