Lamoureaux, Siri, Dr.A04 Researcher
Sociology Department, University of Siegen, Adolf-Reichwein-Str. 2, 57068 Siegen, Germany
+49 (0)271 740-4511
I’m working on bringing together linguistic and semiotic pragmatic theory with materiality and practice-oriented approaches in Science and Technology Studies. My current project looks at space science initiatives taking place on the African continent, namely the use of remote sensing technologies in satellite ground stations and radio telescopes. I hold a PhD in anthropology (2017) and degrees in African Studies (MA 2009) and Linguistics (MA 2004). I currently hold the position of Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin (roughly equivalent to “lecturer” in the UK or “assistant professor” in the US) in the Sociology Department (Workplace Studies) at the University of Siegen. As an associate of the CRC, I am following several of the subprojects.
Projects of future-making
Science and technology studies
Social science of outer space
Postcolonial and feminist perspectives
Africa – Sudan
- Lamoureaux, Siri, Enrico Ille, Amal Hassan Fadlalla, and Timm Sureau (2021) "What Makes a Revolution ‘Real’? A Discussion on Social Media and Al-Thawra الثورة in Sudan." in Digital Imaginaries: African Positions Beyond the Binary , edited by Richard Rottenburg, Julien McHardy, Oulimata Gueye and Philipp Ziegler. Bielefeld: Kerber.
- Rottenburg, Richard, Enrico Ille, and Siri Lamoureaux (2021) "Nuba." in Encyclopaedia of Islam. Leiden: Brill.
- Lamoureaux, Siri, and Richard Rottenburg, eds. (forthcoming) (2021) "Registers of Justice: Gendered Rights, Resources and Recognition in Postcolonial Africa." Tapuya: Latin American Science, Technology and Society.
- Siri Lamoureaux (2021) "‘Il Faut Tout Un Village (Chrétien)…’ et Un Marché Musulman: Être Mère à La Périphérie de Khartoum." in Les Parentalités En Afrique Musulmane: Repenser La Famille à Partir de l’intérêt de l’enfant et Des Transformations Sociales, 139–153 , edited by Yazid Ben Hounet and Catherine Therrien. Rabat: Centre Jacques-Berque.
- Lamoureaux, Siri, and Richard Rottenburg (forthcoming) (2021) "Justifying Gender: A Pragmatic Approach to Doing Gender as Justification." in Registers of Justice: Gendered Rights, Resources and Recognition in Postcolonial Africa. Tapuya: Latin American Science, Technology and Society.
- Lamoureaux, Siri (forthcoming) (2021) "Curating Consent: Moral Biopolitics and Sexual Violence in Sudan." in Registers of Justice: Gendered Rights, Resources and Recognition in Postcolonial Africa. Tapuya: Latin American Science, Technology and Society.
- Lamoureaux, Siri (forthcoming) (2021) "Making love matter: On the materiality of language and the sentiment of things." in A book of exercises in STS: On futures and designs of collective life , edited by Sung-Joon Park and Richard Rottenburg. Manchester: Mattering Press.
- Turner, Irina, James Merron, and Siri Lamoureaux (forthcoming) (2021) "On Indiscipline as a Method: From Stars to Respirators in Covid Times." in Filosofia Theoretica.
- Lamoureaux, Siri (2020) "Ethnic Nationalism and Gendered Morality in the Semiotic Construction of the Moro Language of Sudan." in Faits de Langues 51 (1): 197-220. → https://doi.org/10.1163/19589514-05101012
- Lamoureaux, Siri and Timm Sureau (2018) "Knowledge and Legitimacy: The Fragility of Digital Mobilisation in Sudan." in Journal of Eastern African Studies 0 (0): 1–19. → https://doi.org/10.1080/17531055.2018.1547249
- Lamoureaux, Siri (2017) "Virtuous Language: Gendered Morality and Ethnonational Politics among Moro Christians in Sudan." Dissertation Thesis, University of Halle.
- Calkins, Sandra, Enrico Ille, Siri Lamoureaux, and Richard Rottenburg (2015) "Rethinking Institutional Orders in Sudan Studies: The Case of Land Access in Kordofan, Blue Nile and Darfur." in Canadian Journal of African Studies 49 (1): 175-195. → https://doi.org/10.1080/00083968.2014.963135
- Lamoureaux, Siri (2014) "The Order of Iconicity and the Mutability of ‘the Moro Language’." in Emerging Orders in the Sudans, 95–118 , edited by Sandra Calkins and Enrico Ille. Oxford: African Books Collective.
- Lamoureaux, Siri (2013) "Identities of Place: Mobile Naming Practices and Social Landscapes in Sudan." in Side@Ways: Mobile Margins and the Dynamics of Communication in Africa, 178–198 , edited by Mirjam de Bruijn, Inge Brinkman, and Francis Nyamnjoh. Leiden: Langaa Publishers/African Studies Centre.
- Lamoureaux, Siri (2013) "Nuba Christianity: A Search for Security in the North?" presented at Islamic Research Project Conference: Religious Minorities and Interreligious Relations, CEDEJ/Dutch Foreign Ministry, Sudan.
- Lamoureaux, Siri (2011) "Message in a Mobile: Mixed Messages, Tales of Missing and Mobile Communities at the University of Khartoum."Leiden: Langaa Publishers/African Studies Centre.
- Brinkman, Inge, Siri Lamoureaux, Daniela Merolla, Mirjam de Bruijn, and Richard Akum (2010) "Local Stories, Global Discussion: Websites, Politics and Identity in African Contexts." in Taking it to the Streets: Popular Media, Democracy, and Citizenship in Africa , edited by Herman Wasserman. London: Routledge.
- Lamoureaux, Siri (2009) "Imagined Connectivity, Poetic Text-Messaging and Appropriation in Sudan." in Communication Technologies in Latin America and Africa: A Multidisclipinary Perspective. Barcelona: Universitat Oberta de Catalunya.