Bareikytè, MiglèAssociate Member
Miglė Bareikytė is a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Siegen, Digital Media & Methods Team (Carolin Gerlitz). Miglė works in the fields of media ethnography and STS with a special focus on digital media developments, disinformation, labor and accountability in Central and Eastern Europe. She explores and uses qualitative approaches to working with digital data, especially from public sources, including social media apps. Interdisciplinary approaches and collaboration with academic and non-academic actors is another crucial focus of her research practice.
Miglė defended her dissertation on labor, geopolitics, and critique of Internet development in post-socialist Lithuania as part of the DFG-funded graduate program "Cultures of Critique" at Leuphana University in 2020. She holds degrees in Communication Studies (B.A.) from Vilnius University, in Social and Political Critical Studies (M.A.) from Vytautas Magnus University, and in Media and Political Communication (M.A.) from Freie Universität Berlin. She is a fellow of the German National Academic Foundation and the Hertie Foundation.
- Bareikytė, Miglė, und Yarden Skop. 2022. „Archiving the Present: Situating Grassroot Archives and Disinformation as Data Practices During Russia’s War in Ukraine“. Sociologica 16 (2): 199–215.
- Bareikytė, Miglė. 2022. „Interview with Gintautas Mažeikis: The Problem is not in the Illusions, but in the aims of the apparatus of power”. Kajet. Online: https://kajetjournal.com/2022/04/07/migle-bareikyte-gintautas-mazeikis-interview/
- Bareikytė, Miglė. 2022. The Post-Socialist Internet: How Labor, Geopolitics and Critique Produce the Internet in Lithuania. Bielefeld: transcript.
- Bareikytė, Miglė. 2021. Situating the Internet as Infrastructure: The Case of Post-Socialist Lithuania. Internet Histories. Online: https://doi.org/10.1080/24701475.2021.2000246.
- Bareikytė, Miglė, and Viktorija Rusinaitė. 2018. “Future-Past Infrastructures of Poland and Lithuania.” Obieg 9. Online: https://obieg.u-jazdowski.pl/en/numery/news-from-elsewhere/future-past-infrastructures-of-poland-and-lithuania
- Bareikytė Miglė, Ingo Dachwitz and Lu Yang (2014). "Living With Control, Working With Control: Reflections of Israeli Journalists." Global Media Journal - German Edition 4 (1): 189-217. https://www.db-thueringen.de/receive/dbt_mods_00024255.2013