Van der Vlist, Fernando N., M.A.A03 & MGK Researcher
Telefon: +49 (0)271-740-5259
Fernando van der Vlist (MA University of Amsterdam) is a PhD candidate and research associate with the DFG-funded Collaborative Research Centre ‘Media of Cooperation’ at the University of Siegen and at the Media and Culture Studies department at Utrecht University. He is also a member of the Digital Methods Initiative (University of Amsterdam) and the App Studies Initiative. His research interests include software studies, digital methods, social media and platform studies, app studies, and critical data studies in open access, peer-reviewed journals such as Big Data & Society, Social Media + Society, Internet Histories, Surveillance & Society, and Global Networks, and guest co-edited a special issue of Computational Culture on ‘Apps and Infrastructures’.
Fernando is as a member of subproject A03 on ‘Navigation in online/offline spaces’, which examines how sensor-based and increasingly autonomous navigation reconfigures current ideas about mapping, spatiality, autonomy, and movement. As part of this subproject, his research focus is on the specificity of digital sensor media, their infrastructures, and data operations and practices.
- Helmond, A. & van der Vlist, F. N. (2019). Social Media and Platform Historiography: Challenges and Opportunities. TMG – Journal for Media History 22(1), 6–34. Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision. https://www.tmgonline.nl/articles/434/.
- Gerlitz, C., Helmond, A., Nieborg, D. B., & van der Vlist, F. N. (2019). Apps and Infrastructures – A Research Agenda (Special Issue Editorial). Computational Culture – A Journal of Software Studies 7. Computational Culture. https://computationalculture.net/apps-and-infrastructures-a-research-agenda/.
- Gerlitz, C., Helmond, A., van der Vlist, F. N., & Weltevrede, E. J. T. (2019). Regramming the Platform: Infrastructural Relations Between Apps and Social Media. Computational Culture – A Journal of Software Studies 7. Computational Culture. https://computationalculture.net/regramming-the-platform/.
- Dieter, M. J., Gerlitz, C., Helmond, A., Tkacz, N. van der Vlist, F. N., & Weltevrede, E. J. T. (2019). Multi-Situated App Studies: Methods and Propositions. Social Media + Society 5(2), 1–15. SAGE Publications. DOI: 10.1177/2056305119846486.
- Helmond, A., Nieborg, D. B., & van der Vlist, F. N. (2019). Facebook's Evolution: Development of a Platform-as-Infrastructure. Internet Histories: Digital Technology, Culture and Society 3(2), 123–146. Taylor & Francis. DOI: 10.1080/24701475.2019.1593667.
- Dieter, M. J., Gerlitz, C., Helmond, A., Tkacz, N. van der Vlist, F. N., & Weltevrede, E. J. T. (2018, August). Store, Interface, Package, Connection: Methods and Propositions for App Studies. CRC ‘Media of Cooperation’ Working Paper Series No. 4. Siegen, DE: Collaborative Research Centre ‘Media of Cooperation’, University of Siegen. https://bit.ly/wps1187-4.
- Alinejad, D., Candidatu, L. I., Mevsimler, M., Minchilli, C., Ponzanesi, S., & van der Vlist, F. N. (2018). Diaspora and Mapping Methodologies: Tracing Transnational Digital Connections with ‘Mattering Maps’. Global Networks – A Journal of Transnational Affairs 19(1), 21–43. John Wiley & Sons and Global Networks Partnership. DOI: 10.1111/glob.12197.
- Helmond, A., Nieborg, D. B., & van der Vlist, F. N. (2017). The Political Economy of Social Data: A Historical Analysis of Platform–Industry Partnerships. In #SMSociety ’17 Proceedings of the 8th 2017 International Conference on Social Media & Society, New York, NY: ACM Publications. DOI: 10.1145/3097286.3097324.
- Helmond, A., van der Vlist, F. N., Gerlitz, C., & Weltevrede, E. J. T. (Eds.) (2017). App Studies: Platform Rules and Methodological Challenges. In 2016 AoIR Selected Papers of Internet Research, 6, Chicago, IL: Association of Internet Researchers. https://spir.aoir.org/ojs/index.php/spir/article/view/8431.
- van der Vlist, F. N., & Helmond, A. (2017, March). Speculative Data Selfies. Internet Policy Review – Journal on Internet Regulation. https://policyreview.info/articles/news/speculative-data-selfies/449.
- van der Vlist, F. N. (2017). Counter-Mapping Surveillance: A Critical Cartography of Mass Surveillance Technology After Snowden. Surveillance & Society, 15(1), 137–157. SAGE Publications. DOI: 10.24908/ss.v15i1.5307.
- van der Vlist, F. N. (2016). Accounting for the Social: Investigating Commensuration and Big Data Practices at Facebook. Big Data & Society 3(1), 1–16. SAGE Publications. DOI: 10.1177/2053951716631365.
- van der Vlist, F. N. (2015, June). The Making of Predictions: Social Media-Based Prediction and Its Resources, Techniques, and Applications (Master's Thesis). Amsterdam, NL: University of Amsterdam. https://dare.uva.nl/en/scriptie/569838.